The following ESL courses are available at Greenville Technical College
- Academic ESL courses include Grammar I, II and III, Reading/Writing I and II, and Composition
- Elective ESL courses include Communication I and II and Pronunciation I and II
Greenville Technical College offers classes at high-intermediate to advanced levels to help improve English skills and polish verbal communication for career advancement or continued education at the college level. To determine eligibility for these higher-level classes, the ESL Compass placement test is required.
The ESL Compass is a computer-based English language assessment test with three sections: grammar, reading comprehension, listening comprehension. The test can take up to three hours to complete if you are at the lower level of English comprehension skills. After completing the test, you will receive a printout of your scores.
In order to be accepted into Greenville Technical College’s ESL program, you must score a minimum of 45 on the grammar portion and 50 in Reading to register for the level 1 Grammar or Reading/Writing classes. You must score at least a 50 in the Listening Comprehension portion to register for the level 1 Listening/Speaking class.
Students with scores below these numbers are encouraged to visit Greenville Literacy Association.
Informacion para las clases de Ingles
The ESL classes at Greenville Technical College are at the intermediate to advanced levels. To register for classes, follow these steps:
- Go to Greenville Tech’s Admissions and Registration Center in McAlister Square (225 South Pleasantburg Dr., Greenville, 29607) and fill out an application. Make sure you bring all your documentation; i.e., green card, passport, residency card, or any other document that shows your status in the U.S.
- Complete the Declaration of Citizenship or Legal Presence Form and provide supportive documentation (current valid Visa, U.S. Passport, Resident Alien card, Certificate of Naturalization, U.S. Military ID, SC Driver’s License (most other state Driver’s license also accepted), U.S. Birth Certificate, or valid Refugee, Asylee or Parolee documentation. Original documents must be provided. Any documentation that does not include a current photo must also be accompanied by a current photo ID.
- Take the ESL Compass placement test at the Testing Center located at McAlister Square (225 South Pleasantburg Dr., Greenville, 29607). (Click for the Testing Center schedule)
Hours of operation: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, 8 a.m.-7 p.m.; Wednesday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.; Friday 8 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- After taking the exam, call the ESL office at (864) 250-8396 to set up an advising appointment. Your advisor will help you with choosing appropriate classes for your level and getting registered.
Greenville Technical College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
to award associate degrees, diplomas and certificates.