At Greenville Technical College, we’re proud to have a diverse student body representing every age range and many different countries.

What is an international student?

An international student is someone holding a temporary student visa who is enrolled in college courses in the United States. A student visa is a non-immigrant visa, and students are expected to return to their country after completing their studies. Immigrants (permanent residents), citizens, refugees, and resident aliens are not considered international students.

As an international student, you may take advantage of a full range of courses and programs including transfer options that allow you to complete the first half of a bachelor’s degree and associate degrees that prepare you for specific careers.

If you are interested in a full-time ESL program and student visa in Greenville, we recommend attending an English language school (such as ELS or AGAPE English Language Institute) and transferring to GTC. GTC has conditional acceptance agreements with both English language schools.

SEVIS Form requirement

Under Section 641 of the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act (IIRIRA), all colleges are required to submit specific immigration information concerning your nonimmigrant (F-1) status to the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (BCIS). The SEVIS Form I-20 is the certificate of eligibility for student (F-1) status.
More about SEVIS requirements >

International Admissions process

[If you prefer, you may use this printable version of the below information in PDF format.]

When applying for international admission to Greenville Technical College, applicants must submit the following:

  1. Completed online application (Social security number is not needed to submit online application)
  2. Completed Student information form and recent passport size photograph - 2" x 2" (5.1 x 5.1 cm)

  3. Copy of Current Passport - valid for at least 6 months
  4. Proof of English proficiency*.  If English is not your native language, you must provide proof of English proficiency with one of the three options below:
    • Submit qualifying English Language test reports (either TOEFL or IELTS). Scores valid two years from test date. 
      • TOEFL score 61 or higher Internet version (score of 15 in each section)
        or 500 paper version (score 50 in each section). Visit to schedule in your area.
      • IELTS: Score band 6 or higher (score of 5.5 in each section). Visit to schedule.
    • Students transferring from AGAPE or ELS language schools, please refer to their websites to learn more about our transfer agreements: or These transfer students must also place into at least Reading 100 and English 100 with the Greenville Technical College placement tests.
    • Students with U.S. college credits may be able to use transfer college level English (not ESL) in lieu of testing.

  5. Proof of high school.  Provide documentation certifying that you have successfully completed a secondary education program equal to a U.S. high school diploma. (Documentation must be evaluated by World Education Services, Inc.,, or Joseph Silny ( credential evaluation agencies.) College coursework taken overseas must also be evaluated with the above agencies to be considered for credit.
  6. Transfer documentation from another US college or university – If you are transferring from another US college or university, submit:
    • official copy of your college transcripts
    • copy of I-20 from current college/university
    • completed Transfer Eligibility Form signed by the International Student Advisor at your current college/university
  7. Evidence of Financial Support. Submit completed Affidavit of Support and Certification and present official documentation of financial support in the amount of $28,300.00 US dollars. If you have been offered local room and board, please inquire about the 'Room and Board Affidavit.' If you wish to bring your spouse and/or children, a larger amount must be certified by an additional $3,000 for your spouse and $2,500 per child.
         Why do students need to prove financial ability? 
  8. Verification of valid medical insurance - coverage required because of high U.S. medical costs
  9. Two-semester tuition deposit. Once all necessary documents are submitted, you will be required to make a deposit of $8,550.00 U.S. (subject to change) payable to Greenville Technical College.      
         How is this figure calculated? 
    This deposit can be used for your first semester tuition with the remaining amount held in your student account and applied to your last semester at Greenville Technical College. Any unused deposit is fully refundable. To receive a refund, you must submit a request within one year of your status change, transfer, or departure. If for any reason you are not able to attend or transfer before using deposit, it will be fully refunded.

How to submit paperwork

All documents must be mailed together and addressed to the International Student Advisor.

Mailing address:
Greenville Technical College
Admissions Office - International Student Advisor
MS 6035
P.O. Box 5616
Greenville, SC 29606

Once all documents are received, a decision will be made as to whether or not this institution can assist you in continuing your education in the United States. Please note admissions deadlines to the right.
Make copies of all documents you send to Greenville Technical College. 

About Health and Wellness Programs

Acceptance to the college does not guarantee admission to any Health and Wellness Division program, as these programs have additional admissions requirements that must be met. Students are encouraged to obtain criteria used for competitive admissions for their program of interest.

Issuance of INS Form I-20

When all admissions requirements have been completed, and you have been approved by the International Admissions Office, you will be issued an INS Form I-20.  You will then need to pay the $200.00 (U.S.) SEVIS fee directly to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.  After paying the fee once you will not need to pay it again.  Go to to pay the fee. Be sure to print a receipt.

The issuance of INS Form I-20 does not guarantee the approval of the student (F-1) status by the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Office OR the approval of the F-1 student visa by the U.S. embassy or consulate office in your home country.